Thursday 16 June 2011

Just thinking.

Sometimes I think that when it comes to prayer, the problem isn't lack of faith, but rather the enormity of God.
You know how you feel when you walk into a gust of wind and it is so strong that it literally takes your breath away? Sometimes that's how I feel about God.

It seems to me that He is so big, so mighty and so capable and willing that it takes my breath away and I have to go back to the basics of who He is. I have to ponder Him and the works He has done during the brief history of this world and then I remember how tender He is, how willing to save, how much He comforts and forgives, how long suffering and patient, how mighty He is and who I am in relation to Him.
Then I can pray with a faith the size of a mustard seed with confidence that He hears me, not because of who I am, but because of who He is.

Once again, it comes back to the Bible. If you read it, all of it, and often, you can't help but be impressed by Him and really understand why He says we are made of 'the dust of the earth', and calls us 'worms' because compared to Him, that's exactly what we are.

With so mighty a God as He, and He is our Father (!), what can we possibly ask of Him that He can't give to us???

So when I see a little of how magnificent God is, all my prayers seem to be such a small list and I have courage to keep adding to it, and adding to it, and adding to it :0)

Take courage and enlarge your prayer list. It's not that God can't do it, it's that we can't.

You can't wear God out.

Remember...

Eph 3;20
'Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us...'

2 comments:

Ruth said...

This is a really good post.

We recently left our church and are currently trying to figure out where God wants us to be going to church.

One of the reasons we left the old church is because the emphasis was all on the problem... the number of unsaved people within a certain radius of the church geographically. This problem became so much the focus that there was (to my perspective) almost no focus on the solution: God, who He is and what He is like.

We did not read passages in the Bible that helped us to grasp the nature and attributes of God. We just talked about how all these people are headed for hell, and how disappointed and sad God will be on the last day because we did not do more to save them.

I just couldn't take it any more.

First, I don't think anything outside of God's plan and His will is going to be bothering Him on the last day. Period. I do not think God is going to fail to be able to save all those He means to save (those He predestined before the foundation of the earth) because we happened to mess up somewhere along the way. I think to suggest such a thing is slanderous to the character and nature of God.

Second, I find that perspective demotivating. I am much more encouraged to witness when I remember who God is, and that His plan can never fail, and therefore I can never fail as I walk in His will. That sort of (true) news emboldens me much more than the (false) idea that God is counting on me to save all the people in my community, and He will be depressed if I fail to complete the task.

It certainly does come back to the Bible. The more you read it, the more you learn about God. That's His plan, the very reason why He revealed Himself to us in His Word in the first place!

I think we need to spend more time in our churches reading the Bible and listening to clear explanations of what it means.

Ruth MacC said...

Well said Ruth. We will pray for you and your family tonight that God will lead you to the family He wants for you.
It's an awful pity what you said about your last church. Very sad.

God bless.