Saturday 28 May 2011

Christian Love

I am just finishing a Puritan Paperback book Jeff gave me a few years ago called Christian Love by Hugh Binning. It's one of the most wonderful books I have ever read written by a very humble man. Hugh lived between 1627-53 in Glasgow and died at the tender age of twenty six. You only need to read the first few pages of this book to wonder at how God gifted him with such amazing insight into the Christian character.

Here is a little extract from his book. He is talking about how irreverant we can be in our prayers to God and how absent minded we become during our services...

'If we apprehend indeed our own quality and condition, how low, how base it is, how we cannot endure the very clear aspect of our own consciences, we cannot look on ourselves steadfastly without shame and confusion of face, at the deformed spectacle we behold: much less would we endure to have our souls opened and presented to the view of other men, even the bases of men. We would be overwhelmed with shame if they could see into our hearts! Now then, apprehend seriously what he is, How glorious in holiness! How infinite in wisdom! How the secrets of your souls are plain and open in his sight! And, I am persuaded, you will be composed to a reverent, humble, and trembling behaviour in his sight.'

Powerful stuff.

Thanks Jeff.

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

Wow! That is a really powerful quote. I'm going to see if I can find a copy of that book. How convicting.

Ruth MacC said...

I hope you do get it Cassandra. It's really a great book, and small :0)
A friend told me this morning that he bought it himself recently.
I finished reading it lasst night and promptly started at the beginning again! I have never done that with a book before (except the Bible) but I really like this one.

Hope you are not disappointed.