Friday 8 January 2010

Weather report

My family went to Belfast today and I have to say the weather was amazing and a bit strange. There was smog hanging over Newry so as we drove towards the City I took these photos.
The thing is, there are mountains all around but the smog was that bad you couldn't see them at all. By the time Sean had walked from our house to the car, which was parked right outside the door, he needed his inhaler because it was that cold.

Everything was white the further North you got. It was beautiful but freezing. The window washers wouldn't work on our car and on our way back last night the heaters on the side rear view mirrors weren't able to cope with the cold and just frosted up. I had taken two hot water bottles with me for the trip to keep me warm (I don't really need them but they are lovely!) and Niall ended up using them after they became tepid to clear the windscreen!

I took more photos and video using my camera so I will try to post them too. These were just taken with my phone. The picture below is a close up of a whinn bush, but you should have seen the trees!

Yesterday the government announced that all the schools and colleges will be closed Mon through to Wed. The country is running out of grit and salt for the roads and are importing it. People say snow and cold weather is not the same in Ireland as it can be in other countries. It is cold and damp here and not pleasant at all. My friends in Virginia said that they were playing in the snow last year in their t-shirts! My imagaine doesn't stretch that far!
photo.<span class=jpg">
photo.<span class=jpg"
photo.<span class=jpg">
photo.<span class=jpg">

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's FOG not SMOG

Ruth MacC said...

No, it was smog. I was back in Newry today and although the fog had gone, there is a blanket of smoke etc hovering over the City.

Anonymous said...

oh it must be because Newry is so industerialised!

Ruth MacC said...

It's because it's in a hollow and as there had been no breeze or wind to speak of for weeks the smoke from homes, fumes from traffic etc., has nowhere to go. Newry gets a lot of traffic it being a border town. Lots of shoppers go there, but I suspect you know this already.