Saturday 17 October 2009

John Piper.

'The best news of the Christian gospel is that the supremely glorious Creator of the universe has acted in Jesus Christ's death and resurrection to remove every obstacle between us and himself so that we may find everlasting joy in seeing and savouring his infinite beauty. The saving love of God is his doing whatever must be done, at great cost to himself, and for the least deserving, so that he might enthrall them with what will make them supremely happy forever, namely, himself.'

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

Great quote. :) I understand the concept of God's love in my head but have a hard time grasping it with my heart.

ruth said...

I love John Piper. He is from Minnesota (the land where I was born). During college, my husband and I sometimes attended his church, Bethlehem Baptist, and he opened my mind to a whole new way of thinking about God... so helpful, such a huge blessing. When I get dry I often return to his book, Desiring God. I don't really like to read a lot of books instead of scripture, but that particular book is so helpful in leading one to scripture and helping one to understand, apprehend, and drink deep and satisfying truth from God's Word. On our recent trip to Minnesota, Laura and I attended one of his campuses. He was not there, but his influence was. Wonderful God centered church! They are starting a church planting mission, and Dr. Piper is beginning a seminary in the Minneapolis area to train pastors to lead these churches.

Kristin said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Loved browsing yours, too!

Ruth MacC said...

I too don't like reading books more than the Bible Ruth. You have been blessed by God having been able to attend such a Church as that one. I read in one of his books that he keeps none of the royalties that his books make. May God continue to kekep him safe and strong in Him. We need people like this man.