Monday 1 June 2009

The broad road....

God says that there are lots of people travelling on the broad road that leads to destruction...
Today as I sat on a step among thousands of women waiting for the Dublin Mini Marathon to start, this scripture came to my mind and I almost cried. I looked around at all the Irish women, just like me, thousands of them and thought of how many of them are currently travelling this broad road to Hell.

Not long afterwards, while we were all walking, we passed over a bridge and there was a lone man, in his mid thirties, standing on the bridge with a small sign in his hand. It was only about ten inches long and maybe three inches high but I couldn't make out what was written on it. As I walked past him on the other side of the street I kept looking and then I saw it. The word Jesus was on it, front and back.

There he was, standing on top of a small stone bridge in the middle of Dublin City, with thousands of Irish women passing him by. (There were only women there as it was a women's Marathon) He looked slightly embarrassed and had a small smile on his face. I thought about how he is prepared to look a fool to the world, for Christ's sake. I thought about how bright his light was shining at that very moment and I thought what a beautiful crown he will have in Heaven.

I couldn't go back to him to encourage him. There were just so many people there so I continued to walk, and cry and pray for him and thank God for him.

5 comments:

Becky said...

i saw that man too and your right how hard his job may be as people were laughing at him !!!!

Annie Blake said...

Brilliant post! I love how the photo perfectly illustrates your text.

What a wonderful experience to have in the midst of all that high energy. Overwhelming, I suspect, yet humbling. Yes it is a scary prospect to realise the masses aren't concerned with their salvation, especially when they're right there by your side in their thousands. Still, that sea of woman are a mere drop in the ocean of the 6 billion souls on earth. Picture that broad walk.

To me that man symbolises hope :) and as Garth Brooks sang, "nothing ventured, nothing gained, sometimes you have to go against the grain" and boy was he going against the grain yesterday, physically and spiritually - brave man. Another line from the same song... 'Noah took much ridicule building his great ark but after 40-days and 40-nights he was looking pretty smart' ditto for that guy :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love this post xox

ruth said...

It is good when God moves us to pray for people.

Sit-N-Chat said...

I thank God for him also and pray His rich blessings on him. Hope you had a good walk.

Jennifer

Cassandra said...

Great testimony. :) I hope we are all willing to stand out for Christ!