Tuesday 19 May 2009

1 Timothy 1;15

This is a comment I received from a recent post I wrote about my family...



Delete
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a fellow Christian, I am amazed to hear you judging your family.


I have had to think about this one! It's a good thing to be challenged now and again. Sometimes we need to go back to scripture and see if we are wrong and when we are, to be thankful to that kind and patient sister/brother who, in love, showed you your wrong application of God's word. We can confess to God and others (if need be) and apply the truth to our lives. And who knows? Maybe God will use us to pass on this truth to other brethren who are still in darkness concerning that particular scripture.

Sometimes we are right and need to confirm this by going back to scriptures to assure ourselves of the particular truth. I think of what my sister in the Lord, Marie says in relation to teaching Sunday school. She says it's a very good thing, as we have to learn scripture ourselves before we can teach others and therefore it is a real blessing. Again, going back to scriptures straightens us and enables us to, God willing, be able to teach others.

I am not going to go back over my original post. However I would like to say a few things in the hopes that my anonymous sister/brother may read it.

I think that if a christian suspects that another christian is in error over Scripture, that christian should point it out and offer what they think the true interpretation of scripture is. (2 Timothy 3;16) We should always strive to speak the truth in love. (Ephesians 4;15)

Another thing to consider about the above comment is the fact that it is anonymous. Now, this may be because the person who left it has no profile. But if he/she has, then it could be that they are afraid to say who they are... Consider Proverbs 29;25.

My anonymous friend may very well be right, but I think they may have gone about the whole thing is a wrong way, and perhaps is guilty of the very thing they have accused me of? It's hard to know, that's one of the down sides of leaving a comment like that. Although it was not a mean or hurtful comment, it's not edifying or helpful either....

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have got (and sadly continue to get) things like this wrong in my own life and so I would like to say that I am so very grateful to God and my brethren for patience and love shown to me. This comment has made me stop and think, not so much about the content of my post, but about how I react to others, verbally and in my mind, when they do things that I think are wrong. (Romans 8:28)

So I will leave you with this particular scripture, Proverbs 27:17...

'As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.'



May God bless us by continuing to sanctify us by His Holy Spirit and conform us into the likeness of His Son every day:0)

7 comments:

ruth said...

I am not sure what that anonymous commenter meant about "judging". You said that choices that have been made make you sad.

Please don't let that commenter rock your world.

Not long ago, a dear friend of mine said some things on Facebook that could be hurtful to some people involved in a certain situation. She did not really mean then that way... again, bad choices have been made, and she is hurting--devastated and confused. She later removed the thread, which I think was a very wise thing to do.

I recently taught in Bible study that we must never pass judgement on someone in terms of salvation. If I can expalin succinctly (?)... I was teaching from the perspective of the Sovereignty of God: He knows the end of everybody's story, and we do not. He has our names written in the Lamb's Book of Life (Rev.13:8), which we have not seen. So I said that it would be extremely assuming, destructive and wrong of us to say that any particular person was definitely not destined to be saved. Because we simply cannot know that.

One sweet, sweet lady, a new believer, came to me nearly in tears after the lesson because she had written on a prayer request that someone was "unsaved" and she wondered if she had sinned by doing so. I tried to clarify that discerning that a person is in need of salvation is not wrong; indeed, you could almost say it is our job. This is different from writing a person off as one who is not called by God, which we never have the right to do. And you certainly did not do anything like that in your post! You did not judge anyone!

Back to my friend on Facebook, though... It is possible to say too much about a situation. We always need to pray for wisdom about what we post on the internet and ask God to protect us from posting things that could be destructive in any way. Even when our hearts are just tender and hurting because of love rejected, we need to ask God to give us perfect wisdom in self-censoring. Most of the time, if I feel that a post or comment is questionable, I ask my husband to censor/edit for me. He has never steered me wrong.

Ruth MacC said...

Thanks Ruth. I hear what you are saying. I appreciate your encouragment. Seeing that this blog is out there in public I expect some unusual comments. That's ok. I have learned things because of the comment. I am glad for that.
Thanks again.
God bless.

The Avon Lady ღ said...

Hi Ruth,

I must admit I haven't stopped by here in a while and this seems like a serious post that I want to read and I will and I'll comment but for now I just want to say a BIG thank you for your helpful comment on my new blog. I took your advice, and Niall's too, and made some changes. If you get a chance please take another look and let me know if this is a better version...

I miss you, we haven't chatted in ages, remember I'm all for a craft morning :) ...Monday mornings are good for me!!! Hint hint :P hehehe

Annie xo

Jeff Whitfield said...

Ruth, your original answer in that comment string to Anon was right on as is this post. Many people have adapted the adage "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." The problem with that is it is not scriptural. We are indeed called on to "speak the truth in love" (Eph 4:15) which is much harder but it is God's way and has the possibility of building up the body in a way nothing else can.

Ruth MacC said...

Thanks Jeff.
I wonder if the reason behind the comment has anything to do with the idea that you shouldn't say anything negitive in relation to anybodys sin? Some would like the gospel to be about love only and not also hell and punishment.

Our visiting pastor told us that on Sunday morning while driving to our church centre he heard a discussion on the radio about how the Church of Ireland are coming together to discuss and consider removing doctrines they hold that have become an offence to people. There won't be much left of the gospel if that happens, seeing as the true gospel is an offence to us.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

I just read this and felt I needed to encourage you to continue sharing about your family. I have never found the "judgment" your anonymous commentor seems to have found. Instead, I have read a woman's deeply-felt prayers and love for a family that knows no Joy in the Saviour's forgiving blood.

I take issue with anonymous comments as they do not allow one to reach out and share our hearts. The misunderstanding cannot be unraveled when one hides behind a mask of nothingness.

Truly our Lord encourages face-to-face encounters among His flock. The view through a mirror darkly is the world's view, not that of the Heavenly realms.

Keep praying, keep writing, keep sharing, keep growing . . . I'm right beside you (though anonymous hasn't spotted me yet).

XO ~~ Debbie

Anonymous said...

i'm gonna make my own post about it