Sunday 15 March 2009

Changing tmes.

In the 80's I was living in Dublin. I was in my late teens & early twenties, living with my boyfriend, working, independent, travelling around the countryside with him while he played in his rock band, (he also had a good job) going on two foreign holidays and a couple of trips to London each year and paying a mortgage. I remember the atmosphere of the times as one of being the independent woman. I bought 'New Woman' magazine every month and was encouraged to reach out, go for the promotion, be independent of men and if I must, have one baby, but of course, I must put it in a creche a.s.a.p and continue with my quest for equality with men. Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister of England and the the term 'Yuppie' (that we all strove for) came into being. That's how I remember it anyway.

It took a long time for us 'new women' to realise that we were being fed a load of dung. Not only did we have to keep house, cook, shop, do laundry etc but we had to hold a job AND be a parent while looking fantastic along the way. Not to mention that we were expected to find the money for our holidays, nice clothes and evenings out...

I was lucky. I tried to do all the above but I didn't have a child. After being reared in poverty with 6 sisters and 3 brothers I was in no hurry to have a child and, after all, didn't all the experts tell us there was no hurry? Couldn't we have our 1.2 children way into our thirties and even wait until we were forty?

I see that times are a-changing.

There is a change creeping into our society. I see women reeling in exhaustion from the lie. They seem to see the lie that had been fed to their mothers and now to them and want to go back to basics. They want what God initially wanted for them. They want husbands and children, and what's wonderful and shocking, too, is the fact that they want to stay at home.

I think the wool has finally being removed, the veil is being drawn back, and they are beginning to see that not only is it not sustainable to be and do all these things without neglecting home and family, but that there is a peace to be had, there is a chance that they can actually enjoy their children and, perhaps, even a chance to prevent in their own children's lives, the neglect and lack of family life that they experienced while being brought up with women who had been fed the dung of the 80's.

6 comments:

Annie Blake said...

Here here!

Heather L. said...

I do hope the times are changing!!

FancyHorse said...

Yes, indeed. God's plan is best for men and women, and for children. It is not oppressive to women, and it is not making us inferior. Home-making and child-rearing are the most important jobs there are. It should not be entrusted to people who don't have the love and care that mothers do (ideal mothers).

Ruth MacC said...

You said it!

Thankful Paul said...

Wishing you and yours much love, peace, and happiness!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Oh yes! My mom suffered divorce and being thrust into the workforce so she raised me on all the dung available.

When I met and married my Gary I tossed the dung aside after my first job. I preferred to be a woman as God intended. I have NEVER regretted staying home, making a home, having babies, raising children, homeschooling, and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT. The worst day at home far exceeds the best day with a paycheck from some corporation.

I am blessed beyond belief in God's economy. Man's economy has offered heartache and disappointment to all who swallowed the lies. Thanks for sharing the truth so plainly.