Monday 2 February 2009

A busy & full week.

Wouldn't you know it... I am organising something for Niall's 50th birthday and

Mum is in hospital.
Sean was playing Kung Fu with his friends yesterday evening and so we spent part of the day in the hospital in Drogheda getting his hand set in plaster.
Some of my family are cracking up because when mum told me she thought she was dying and so I prayed for her... Yes, I prayed for her with her permission and somehow the world is coming to an end???
Did you ever hear the old saying, things happen in threes?

However, through all this, I know that I can do all things through Christ who straightens me.
I think of this;
Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and mind through Christ Jesus.

I tell you, when hard times come I love to see the Lord at work in me. He uses Niall a lot to show me the right way to deal with people. How not to rebel against my enemy, how to love them and do good to them. How I should try not to always vindicate myself...

It's tough, suppressing the old self and trying to do things Gods way and not mine. But my goodness, the fruit that comes from obeying is something else!

Our pastor Stephen preached on Sunday on Romans 12 and mentions how we should expect trouble and hard times. Expect it but be prepared for it, by reading the Bible and prayer.

So, I feel renewed, ready for tomorrow and am happy to see God keeping His promise after I
let my requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard my heart and mind through Christ Jesus.
I am a happy woman:-)

.

4 comments:

FancyHorse said...

The Lord will bless you for your faithfulness, Ruth, and you are a blessing to others. "In all things, give thanks."

I am grateful to know you through your blog.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Keep your eyes on Him and your hands busy serving others and your heart will be at ease.

Extended Families . . . such a great idea that got filled up with humans and thus often become hurtful at those very times when they should be most helpful.

My prayers continue for you and those you love so much. You CAN do ALL things through Christ who strengthens you. (I just love that verse -- so powerfully calming in times of distress.)

FancyHorse said...

I am praying for your mother, and for all your family. I'm sorry that it is so hard to witness to them. I pray that the Lord will soften their hearts and bring them to Him.

Thank you for your comment. The personal touch from the church pastor was one thing I wished for in the large church we belonged to before we moved to our present home. There was a staff of ministers, and I knew some of them and felt close to them, but having a church pastor who knows us, and prays with us, and counsels us is wonderful!

ruth said...

Everybody probably ought to memorize all of Philippians 4. It is a very fortifying passage.

I'm glad your mom gave you permission to pray for her, and I hope Sean feels better.