Saturday 24 January 2009

Chris Cleeve on TV

I love some of this guy's writing. If you like it drop over and get more. I copied an extract of a part of his post of TV...


All recent generations of parents have worried about their children’s exposure to TV. My own mum wouldn’t let us watch Grange Hill – a show that now seems positively Victorian in its mores – lest we become common. I had classmates who were even worse off than me. One girl’s family didn’t allow television in the home at all. Of course we teased her mercilessly in the playground and spun her all manner of yarns. After we’d got to her, the girl seriously believed that Blue Peter was one of the Smurfs. Needless to say she was doomed to be a loser and a social pariah, and she has since proved it by becoming a neurosurgeon, raising three lovely little girls, and having over 300 friends on Facebook.

Remembering how badly that girl was teased, I relented and asked my 5-year-old if he would like us to get a television. He looked up at me with a serious expression and said: “Okay, but first I want a machine gun. Not a toy one. A real one that goes dagga-dagga-dagga and actually kills people.” “I see,” I replied. “And, um… how do you know about machine guns?” “Oh,” he shrugged, “I just saw it on the internet.”

2 comments:

Chantel said...

Not sure which blog to comment back on! :)

We're getting married on March 15th-- just 49 more days!! :):)

Annie Blake said...

Wow big Internet yet still a small world. Only last month I enjoyed and linked to one of his blog posts too...

http://beingmzblake.blogspot.com/2009/01/two-blog-posts-i-enjoyed-this-week.html