Monday 6 October 2008

Day 2

Today is the second day where I write, as guest blogger on 'Happy to be @ Home' about what my family eats.
Today is a busy day that started late. Sean had a boiled egg in a cup, with a dab of butter and a pinch of salt. He also had toast, orange juice and on top of all that, he had a hot chocolate drink!!

Niall had juice, cornflakes and toast.

I had my usual, which is two crackers, yogurt, hot water & milk.

I know it is a strange mixture but about 6 years ago I began to feel very tired. I would get up, make beds, teach Sean and would be fit to fall into the bed at twelve... I gave up drinking tea and my energy levels soared. After about a week they came down to normal so I stayed off the tea. However, I missed the hot drink, couldn't stomach hot water on it's own, so settled for hot water and milk. Sounds awful but I like it!

For lunch Sean had roast potoatoes and chichen with butter & salt that was left over from yesterday. (He loved it!)

Niall got himself a snack.

I had a salad, 1 roast potatoe& a fried egg. (not all together! I had the salad for brunch)

This evening we are a busy lot. Niall has the Church Christian radio show tonight and I am hosting the women's meeting in my home so I plan to make a lasagne and eat it over the next two days...Of course there will be snacks for the meeting so I will take a photo of that and post it tomorrow!

Here is a photo of something I like about my kitchen. I have it on my windowsill. When I got married almost 6 years ago a friend gave us a silver photo frame with Proverbs 3:5 inscribed on it.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding".

My friend Jean stitched the scripture and a pretty "Niall & Ruth" on it and put it into the frame for me. It's just lovely and reminds me of Mick, (who gave us the frame) Jean and the Lord!

4 comments:

Heather L. said...

I love reading about what people eat! Enjoyed both your posts. I have had to give up tea (all caffeine) for health reasons too. I really, really miss it (my husband and I are/were sort of tea connoiseurs). I do drink some herbal and some decaf tea, but of course it does not taste the same. However, I wouldn't trade it for the energy I have now. I've done hot water with milk at times. :) But never just straight hot water. :)

Kaber said...

There is always room for hot chocolate!
Gavin likes eggs, I only eat them boiled (no yolk) same with Connor. Ki won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Do you drink just hot water- by itself? no honey or lemon?- wait- you mix it with the milk? I knew a lday that drank hot water with honey daily

does all tea make you tired? I actually thinking drinking caffeine daily end up making people tired unles they are drinking it- but they get more tired when the caffeine is out of their system. I like herbal teas or berry tea. I also can't do starch/carbs in the morning or I get tired.
I plan on lasagna tonight, too

Heather said...

I loved reading your daily menu Ruth! Mum calls your morning hot drink 'widows water' or 'white rose tea' and it is soothing and nice - especially on a cool morning. Americans are terrible at making tea in restaurants unless it is a tea room specifically, so I often order just the boiling water and milk - I'm such a tea snob!

I was excited to hear you are coming to the States (D.V.) - I don't know if you'll be able to find American pumpkin pie at Easter, but I would be happy to make one for you if you'd like to stop in Ohio on your tour!

Can you get tinned pumpkin in Ireland? It is really simple to make! I'd be happy to share mum's recipe if you are feeling ambitious!

Have a lovely day,
Heather

Ruth MacC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.