Tuesday 1 April 2008

Home Education Week - Day 3

So today, if we like, we are encouraged to talk on this subject...

    April Fool’s! Tuesday, April 1
    And we have likely all felt the fool in one way or another. Share your greatest challenge. Or one of those terrible, horrible no good, very bad days where the only thing there is to do seems to involve moving to Australia.

I am being very honest here when I say that I really can't think of any great or small mishap I have had with Sean with regards to home schooling. I am cooking pancakes for lunch right now so I will go out into the kitchen and check up on them and try to think of something!

..... Ok, I thought of something. Normally I work with Sean throughout the year and take holidays when it suits Sean and us as a family. Last year I planned to work throughout the summer, and only take a couple of weeks off but I didn't take into account the fact that Sean had so many summer activities.
Every summer he has Samba Soccer Camp, Swimming Camp, Holiday Bible Club and the Summer Project. This gives me about another 5 weeks to work with him and finish his books in readiness for September. However, last summer Sean had an extra Swimming Camp and two Sailing Camps. By the time all this was over we were behind on his books. (not the crime of the century as it only took us about 3 weeks to catch up) The bad thing about this is that I felt under pressure.

To prevent this from happening again I took all his new books, divided them by 10 and marked each page. This way, I know if I am falling a little behind by what month is written on the corner of the book. We fell behind in December because my father was dying and so we spent time with him before his death, during the wake and then for the funeral. I didn't give a hoot about the books as this is one of the greatest parts of growing up and learning about death and families. Anyway, we both wanted to spend time with him as we knew he was dying.

So, I am looking forwards to reading about other people's "disasters" and hope they are more entertaining than my own!

Look at Andreas blog. She has posted about Home Education Week too.

1 comment:

andijean said...

I like the way you resolved your "disaster." Sounds like a good method for keeping your goals in front of you.

~Andrea
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/andijeane/508576/