Monday 19 November 2007

I have had a discussion with a sister from our Church about debs dances. My son is nine and her daughter is also nine and , please God, if they finish school at 18 they will have the opportunity to attend the Debs ball.... As there are not too many Christians in this part of the country, or sadly any other part, my sister is hoping that Sean will be able to bring her daughter to the Debs.

My thoughts on the subject thus far is no... but I have to work it through.

This is the tail end of a post from a blog called "A Place Of Quiet Rest" I like what this lady has to say and I hope you do too.....


I find in my own life that I don't need to 'sample' what the world has to offer in order to know that it isn't for me. I am fairly aware of what is good for me and what isn't. I find enough sinful habits in my own flesh without developing a taste for the habits of the world! I daily struggle with wrong thinking, self-centered living, careless words and a lack of passion for the things of God. And that's the short list. I don't need to know what the world is into to know that it isn't going to help me become the woman of God I desire to be. I do know where I need to be 'sampling' - in fact feasting - daily, and that is in God's Word.


Matthew 10:16 says, "Behold I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; therefore be shrewd as serpents, and innocent as doves."




I will not bury my head in the sand. I will not be afraid of the world, but I will not knowingly be pursuing it's fading pleasures or finding my entertainment in things that I know will suck me in to wrong thinking. I will try to learn to be relevant and informed, but I will strive also to live a life that is distinctively different - and that includes passing up what the world has to offer, and developing my taste for the wonderful goodness of God. I will keep on seeking internal devotion in a world of continual commotion! I want to be the kind of Christian who is known for what I stand for and not just for what I stand against. I long to have the reputation of a woman who fears the Lord and who exhibits love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control. I've got much yet to learn!

Psalm 34:8

Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good;

Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

1 comment:

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

I totally agree. I often get the questions about what I think about all the things my kids will miss by being homeschooled. I think they are going to miss a whole lot of bad and not much good.